Quiznos finally switched out the exhausted golden 50s album for drifty soul music. One song in particular has caught my attention, and when I think about it, the idea it illustrates is one of nearly epidemic acceptance, even in the Christian sphere.
"Embrace your imperfections!" it cries, "they make you beautiful!" (Let it be understood right now that I'm not talking about physical appearance; this is purely about character flaws.) Now, I'm all into full realization of one's deficiencies; self-confrontation leads to progress. However, I don't think that the concept of embracing our less desirable traits ought to be encouraged. Embracing one's faults gives the impression that there's nothing wrong with them... Why can't you accept me for who I am? Nobody's perfect, why should I even try to be?
We as Christians are called to be Christlike. Big news for the Christians out there: Christ was perfect. Thus, by the transitive property, we're called to be perfect. I know I know, we will never be perfect in this world, but it's still our goal. We are utterly doomed to miserable failure, however, if we keep entertaining the idea that we should embrace our defects.
Not to go bashing anyone's taste in music...but here goes. Everyone seems to be infatuated with one Francesca Battistelli's hit Christian single, Free to be Me. "I've got a couple dents in my fender; got a couple rips in my jeans; try to fit the pieces together but perfection is my enemy..." Now, I realize that Francesca was probably not trying to convince the young Christian community that they should never change, but directly following said lyrics she (rightly) proclaims that "I'm free to be me." What does the context imply? That "I" am free to continue in my battered, imperfect ways? It carries with it this idea of unteachable-ness... not to carry the idea too far, but almost denying the effectiveness of God's refining fire.
Really though, this idea that we're just about as good as we're gonna get leaves no room for improvement and gives way too much room for selfishness and laziness.
I'm a nervous eater; I can't help it. Looks like I'm stuck with my weight problem...
I've always been bad about procrastination; it's just who I am. And I'm stuck with heartless teachers who won't take my problem into consideration...
I'm just depressed; it's a medical condition. Nothing will ever get better because it's a strictly physiological problem that I have no control over.
You see how far this could go?
These "beautiful" imperfections give us an excuse to dwell in our misery. Why anyone would choose to render themselves perpetually imperfect is beyond me, but that's what this "embracing your true self" fad boils down to. Man has always been into progress until now, it seems. Suddenly, nobody cares to do anything with their life. Teens rarely even comprehend the idea of potential, and making a difference in the world is left to the politicians (whose incompetency we relentlessly complain about). But that's another topic for another time.
What imperfections have you been embracing for too long?
I'm going to avoid your probing question, but I really liked this post. It made me think. Not only about my own accepted imperfections. But about the songs we sing. Stuff Christians Like posted about worship songs recently: http://stuffchristianslike.net/2010/07/overcommitting-to-god-in-worship/. It makes me think how when the words go up on the screen we sing them. Sometimes I get too caught up in the music and atmosphere of worship and forget the words I'm singing.
ReplyDelete