Today in Contemporary American Religion (i.e., my favorite class ever) we continued a discussion on Mormonism that started earlier this week. After covering the history, beliefs, organization, customs, and current trends of the sect, Dr. Kemeny ended the class with a video. It was an interview of Joel Osteen regarding his views on a Mormon, Muslim, or any non-Christian taking presidency (watch it here, approx. 2 minutes long). Kemeny then followed it up with a question: Would you, like Osteen, consider Mormonism a brand of Christianity?
After an awkward period of silence, Kemeny started calling on people haphazardly.
"I don't know."
"I haven't really decided yet."
"It depends on how you view Christianity."
Wait...what? Seriously? Literally moments before we were discussing the ins and outs of Mormonism, including their cracked theology and the serious threat it posed to historical Protestantism. I was shocked.
I think that, deep down, we want Mormons to be right. We want our "faith" to be works-based and we want to believe that only the worst of the worst go to Hell while everybody else can chill in various heavenly circles depending on their goodness ranking. I want them to be right. But I know that they're not, and I would never dare to compare Mormonism and Christianity and conclude that they're basically the same.
Honestly, I saw that class as a prime example for a huge downfall in the Christian church today - lack of education. I'm not saying that every believer should get a master's of divinity, but isn't it scary to think that the majority of Christian kids raised in Christian homes have never even been asked to put into words what they believe and why? I for one was pretty ignorant of my faith up until recent years, and I know the same is true for a lot of "Christians" who went to church with me.
We watched a video earlier in the semester that surveyed teenagers and their beliefs. Most Christian respondents were vague in their answers, if not altogether clueless. Simple questions like "What is the significance of the cross" left some stuttering and confused. In stark contrast, the Mormon (and, interestingly, Jewish) teens were most excited about their faith and expressed a hunger to know more and share what they already knew. In some ways, Mormons have it right. They have such solid family values that the children can't NOT know what's going on with the whole faith thing. Why don't we have that?
We're too tame. I don't mean that we should scare our kids into a theological cage, but I would argue that we don't often put up a tangible fight for what we know to be true. And if there is a battle, how often does the story make it to the dinner table? If the adult community doesn't set a clear example or take the initiative to teach, how will the generations know to follow and defend? How else will they know to avoid the postmodern trap of relativity and to seek and defend truth?
No comments:
Post a Comment